Chapter 9 Bankruptcy Strategies provides an authoritative, insider’s perspective on the statute that allows municipalities to reorganize under the Bankruptcy Code. Featuring partners from some of the nation’s leading law firms, this book guides the reader through the basic principles and factors that any attorney or client venturing into a Chapter 9 case, either in a creditor or debtor capacity, must understand and evaluate before setting forth. These authors explore proven strategies for the Chapter 9 process, including deciphering the filing requirements, weighing the benefits and risks, assembling and confirming a plan of adjustment, and dealing with diverse and inconclusive state laws. From Orange County and Vallejo to Central Falls and New York City Off-Track Betting Corp., these top lawyers also analyze the intricacies of notable Chapter 9 cases and predict what entities may seek Chapter 9 protection in the future. Finally, these leaders discuss the role of the bankruptcy court in a Chapter 9, tips for working effectively with municipal clients, and the future of Chapter 9 legislation. The different niches represented and the breadth of perspectives presented enable readers to get inside some of the great legal minds of today, as these experienced lawyers offer up their thoughts on the keys to success within this contentious field.
Inside the Minds provides readers with proven business and legal intelligence from leading C-Level executives and lawyers. Each chapter offers thought leadership and expert analysis on an industry, profession, or topic, providing a future-oriented perspective and proven strategies for success. Each author has been selected based on their experience and C-Level standing within the business and legal communities.
1. Leon R. Barson and Francis J. Lawall, Partners, Pepper Hamilton LLP – “Chapter 9 Bankruptcy: Restructuring Municipalities in Financial Distress”
2. Peter J. Benvenutti, Partner, Joseph M. Witalec, Counsel, Jones Day – “State Law Authorization for a Chapter 9 Filing”
3. Lee R. Bogdanoff, Co-Managing Partner, Klee, Tuchin, Bogdanoff & Stern LLP – “Understanding Chapter 9 in Today’s Economic Environment”
4. Stanley H. McGuffin, Shareholder, Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd PA – “Chapter 9 as a Remedy for Financially Stressed Municipalities”
5. Harold L. Kaplan, Partner and Chair, Corporate Trust and Bondholders Rights Team, Foley & Lardner LLP – “Chapter 9 and Municipal Health Care Bankruptcy: A Collision and Evolution of Bankruptcy Code Provisions”
6. Henry C. Kevane, Partner, Pachulski Stang Ziehl & Jones LLP – “Deploying the “Prepackaged” Plan of Adjustments in Chapter 9″
7. Judith Elkin, Partner, Haynes and Boone LLP – “A “Time Out” for Municipalities: The Recent Workings of Chapter 9 of the Bankruptcy Code”
8. John J. Rapisardi, Partner, Lary Stromfeld, Partner, Douglas S. Mintz, Special Counsel, Terence L. Workman, Special Counsel, Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP – “Chapter 9: A Big Stick, Rarely Used”
9. Francisco Vazquez, Counsel, Chadbourne & Parke LLP – “Examining Chapter 9 Municipal Bankruptcy Cases”
10. Paul R. Glassman, Shareholder, Greenberg Traurig LLP – “A Practical Guide to Chapter 9 Municipal Bankruptcy”